Menu
Cart 0

About Beeswax Candles

Beeswax is a byproduct from honeybees. They product this automatically and naturally when making honey. It's not something that harms them to collect the beeswax, infact if not collected routinely a hive might have too much wax. Our beeswax is never smoked, the bees are treated humanely as it is gathered by a person in a bee-suit. 

The wax is secreted by worker bees and is used to store their young and honey. The amount of honey that comes from one pound of beeswax can be several pounds.

Beeswax candles are natural air purifiers. As they burn, they release negative ions into the air which trap and destroy allergens. Because of this, some people who are affected by allergies and asthma can safely enjoy beeswax candles, without their immune systems acting up. 

Beeswax candles are known to have the highest melting point despite being very flammable. They will last the longest of any of the candle waxes in its pure and original form.

My candles are absolutely 100% free of any additives that will improve burn time or fragrance. Because of this they are not only more earth friendly, they are cheaper and healthier for you and your family. Beeswax is naturally dark yellow in color. The darker the wax, the higher the pollen count (usually higher in spring) and stronger honey scent you will get. Some people cannot detect the honey scent, it is down to the individual.

I do not recommend placing warm pure beeswax on your skin as it is very tacky and hard to rub in and remove from clothing. It also can be very damaging to your plumbing if you wash it down the drain because it sticks so strongly.

Most recently museum curators used beeswax to reattach Tutankhamun's beard to his funeral mask after some workers knocked it off by mistake. That's pretty sticky stuff! 

The only beeswax candle I recommend trying on your skin would be my half and half beeswax and coconut oil candle. The soft and sweet coconut oil makes the beeswax more skin friendly and I absolutely love using warm wax on dry skin or for a little bit of scent on my hands or neck. Never pour pure liquid wax of any kind on your skin as it can cause a bad burn. 

Ingredient Sample List:

  • 100% Additive-free, Hand gathered, US Beeswax
  • 33% Essential Oil per 8oz candle (when used)
  • 50% Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (when used; makes the color more milky yellow)
  • Vegetable oil dipped cotton wick (aluminum base)

How to care for your candle:

When not in use, try to keep the lid on the candle. It's best to store it in a dark, dry location. It's important to note that a candle that may initially have a lighter scent throw can strengthen with some age. 

If your wick is smoking or flickering, make sure to trim it to 1/4" and try again. The wicks should automatically trim themselves but sometimes they don't. 

To get the most out of your candle, allow it to burn long enough to create a wax pool from edge-to-edge. Continually blowing it out before it can do this can cause tunnelling and lower the lifespan of the candle.

Ideally you don't want a candle to burn longer than 4 hours and never leave it unsupervised, around pets or children. Never burn close to things that may catch fire easily. I recommend placing them on your fireplace mantel if you have one.